VP of Research & Development
Report to the Chief Executive Officer and be a strategic partner and advisor in terms of technology,
innovation, intellectual property, know-how, organisational technical core competency, R&D strategy,
product commercialization, program execution as well as being a key member of the senior management
team of the Group.
Work closely with strategic marketing and commercial functions to define the needs being addressed
in each R&D program and deliver the concepts, capabilities, designs, and plans to meet these needs.
Ensure that R&D projects are delivered on time, in budget and that the products meet the
specifications agreed at the outset.
Responsible to ensure that the R&D team is structured and organised for long term success:
Clear reporting lines and responsibilities.
- Dedicated project leadership
- Detailed project plans in place with milestones identified and risks identified and managed.
- Regular and structured cross functional team meetings.
- Intermittent project reviews with broad senior management team.
Develop and promote a culture of innovation and a philosophy of being the knowledge leaders in the
field of the business. Direct the innovation and knowledge capabilities of the company towards creating
technological value for the business.
Design, manufacture and test catheter sub-assemblies (under the direction of the PM or CTO) as needed
to advance the project. (Mostly mechanical and biomaterials oriented initially)
- Defining technological roadmap of the company and assuming the overall leadership of the
development of the company’s products.
- Defining product development milestones and drive the cross functional team towards those
- Maintain effective communication channels between the R&D team and members of the
management team, cross functional team and with employees operating in the field.
- Co-lead (with strategic marketing) the definition, documentation and approval of the needs
and customer requirements being addressed in each R&D program.
- HR management and reporting responsibility for all R&D staff.
- Oversee the translation of the needs and customer requirements into technical specifications.
- Supporting contractual, licensing, financing and M&A activities in the business.
- Play a leadership role in the pre-Commercial development activities of the Group and support
successful commercial product launches.
- Foresee and manage technological risks in the business and promote the disciplines of risk
management, project management and project execution in the Group.
- Analysing and projecting to the leadership team the work plan resources and budget required
to implement the milestones.
- Develop and promote a culture of innovation and a philosophy of being the knowledge leaders
in the field of lymphatic interventions and acute heart failure therapy. Direct the innovation and
knowledge capabilities of the company towards creating technological value for the business.
- Managing the innovation processes, invention disclosure processes and IP filing processes,
and in partnership with the CTO, the innovation processes of the company.
- Support the CEO and the CTO in the prosecution of the IP portfolio, the IP strategy and
building a powerful IP position for the company in its field.
- Support the clinical and commercial teams in the execution of the businesses clinical and
- Support the fund raising, licensing, business development and M&A processes of the business
as required by the CEO from time to time.
- Build and maintain relationships with KOL’s in support of the business objectives of the
- Be aware of the relevance of competing technologies and advise the CEO and the business of
- Meet and report as part of the senior management team of the company and ensure that all
other key people of the company have clear visibility of and are kept informed on the
technology and technological developments in the company.
- Oversee the project management processes of the company and ensure that programs are
executed in a manner that ensures multifunctional team representation and appropriate
involvement of and communication with senior management.
- Maintain effective communication channels with members of the management team, with team
members in other Group companies and with employees operating in the field.
- Direct and manage the R&D resources of the business including the R&D team and budgets.
- Working with the CEO and finance functions to ensure the efficient deployment of capital on
Knowledge and skills required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical, Materials, Polymer, Chemical or Industrial
- At least 15 years of project management, management and leadership experience in technology roles.
- A deep understanding of the cardiovascular industry and cardiovascular technologies generally. Preferably
with experience in heart failure, structural heart or a related therapeutic field.
- A track record of bringing new products through development and commercialization.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience in working with cross-functional, geographically
dispersed teams on complex projects.
- Understands team dynamics and experienced at building teams that deliver results.Requires excellent written, interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Prior experience working for a MedTech company whose products and processes are FDA regulated.
- Highly focused on delivering products that meet the needs of patients and customers.
- Experience in the development of medical devices that require complex processes and assembly techniques
and a proven ability to deliver results in this setting.
- Brings support and positive attributes to a culture that is respectful, supportive, goal oriented, scientific and
- Must have ability to read and understand complex contracts of the business, work with the legal
and transaction teams and operate the R&D program in awareness of the foregoing.
Personal Core Competencies:
- Research, Development and Innovation
- Technical and technology awareness.
- Project planning, management and execution.
- Managerial and organisational.
- Medical device therapeutics.
- The company is a fast growing and dynamic organisation and the company reserves the right to change the
job description, role and reporting structure to meet the evolving needs of the business.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally by air and car and work occasional weekends. Must
possess a valid driver’s license and passport.
- The executive is expected to develop and evolve his/her skills to stay abreast of the business and the
evolving environment in which the business operates.